The match slipped from the hands of the Indian men’s hockey team, England drew the match 4-4
- Men’s hockey match between India and England draws 4-4
- England snatched victory from India’s hands by scoring three goals in the last quarter
- India made a winning start by beating Ghana 11-0
CWG 2022: The Indian men’s hockey team had to be content with a draw in their second Pool B match against England. This would have been India’s second successive win at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games but India gave England three goals in the last quarter. India lost the win in this match against England. Earlier in the last match, India made a winning start by defeating Ghana 11-0.
India had taken a 3-0 lead in this match till half time. After this, England scored a goal at the end of the third quarter. Then England made a strong comeback in the fourth quarter and snatched the match from the hands of India and got them drawn. Two Indian players Gurjant Singh and Varun Kumar were shown the yellow card and at one point of time the Indian team was playing with only nine players. This was the reason that England’s attack dominated India.
Know here all the updates of the match
- India scored a penalty corner in the second minute of the match against England, which was considered difficult. Lalit Upadhyay scored the first goal and gave India a 1-0 lead early on.
- After this, India scored the second goal against England in the first quarter itself. Mandeep Singh scored this goal for India and gave the team a 2-0 lead over England.
- The Indian team scored the first goal in the second minute and the second goal in the 13th minute. With this, India took a 2-0 lead over England in the first quarter.
- In the 22nd minute, Mandeep Singh’s shot again hit the England player’s stick and India got a 3-0 lead in the second quarter. This goal was added to Mandeep’s account and it was his second goal of the match.
- With about 3 and a half minutes remaining in the third quarter, England opened their account in this match and made the score 3-1. Although Indian captain Manpreet Singh took a review on this, but it did not go in India’s favor and England got the goal.
- The Indian men’s hockey team retained the lead till the end of the third quarter. Although England scored a goal in this quarter, India were ahead 3-1.
- After scoring a goal in the third quarter, India made a strong comeback early in the fourth quarter as Harmanpreet Singh converted a penalty corner to take India’s lead 4-1.
- Soon after India’s fourth goal, England also scored their second goal in the fourth quarter to reduce the score to 4-2.
- In the fourth quarter, England scored their second and their third goal of the match to extend India’s lead by just one goal. India is now leading 4-3. There is still about 9 and a half minutes of play left for the match to end.
- In the fourth quarter, England scored the third goal and leveled the score 4-4.
- The winning match went out of the hands of the Indian hockey team and England scored 3 goals in the last quarter to draw the match 4-4.