Vivek Agnihotri reacts to Nawazuddin Siddiqui’s alleged take on The Kerala Story: Will he support a ban on his films?
A day after a news portal reported that Nawazuddin Siddiqui agreed to a ban on The Kerala Story in some states, the actor had responded to the ‘false news’ and tweeted that he would ‘never ban any film’ would like’. Now, filmmaker Vivek Agnihotri has reacted to a news article about Nawazuddin’s alleged statement about The Kerala Story. Read also: Kangana Ranaut Agrees With Shabana Azmi’s Opinion On Kerala Story
Nawazuddin has already clarified that he never said that the ban on The Kerala Story was justified as the film had the ‘power to break people and social harmony’, as claimed by some news reports. Responding to one such report, Vivek asked whether Nawazuddin Siddiqui would support a ban on his films and shows if they hurt people.
Vivek slams Nawazuddin for supporting Kerala Story ban
Sharing the tweet of a new portal, “If a novel or film is hurting someone, it is wrong: Actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui supports the call to ban the film The Kerala Story,” asked Vivek whether Nawazuddin would like ‘most of his films’ and OTT shows’ to be banned as well. He indicated that the actor’s shows and films featured ‘unnecessary abuse, violence and perversion’, and alleged that they hurt people.
Vivek tweeted, ‘Most Indian middle class families feel unnecessary abuse, violence and distortion in films and OTT shows hurt them and their children… Nawaz can suggest whether most of his films and OTT shows should be banned Should be installed?’ What are your thoughts?
Nawazuddin Siddiqui reacts to ‘fake news’
Earlier, actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui on Friday clarified that he does not support the practice of banning films, dismissing reports justifying the ban on The Kerala Story.
“Please stop spreading false news just to get few views and hits, call it cheap TRPs – I have never said and I will never want to ban any film. Stop banning movies. Stop spreading fake news.
Controversy over The Kerala Story
The Kerala Story starring Adah Sharma, Yogeeta Bihani, Sonia Balani and Siddhi Idnani has collected more than what it has collected so far. 200 crores at the domestic box office. The film, directed by Sudipto Sen, has been in the news for allegations that women from Kerala were forced into conversion and recruited by the terrorist group ISIS. Its trailer had earlier claimed that 32,000 women from Kerala have gone missing and joined ISIS.
The West Bengal government banned the film on 8 May in view of tensions between different communities. Cinemas in Tamil Nadu had also decided to stop its screening citing law and order situation and poor audience attendance.